Wednesday, November 2, 2011

A Year's Celebration and Accomplishments


It's my birthday. Nothing wrong with that. I love hearing from old friends and new. I scoop up news and best wishes from my sons and my siblings. I luxuriate in being treated to special meals and special treatment from my beau.

I fully admit to being a full-blown Scorpio. A double Scorpio, if you want to get particular, since I was born at sunrise, so my rising sign is also Scorpio. I am an extremist. In appetite, in love, in going after what I want, even sometimes in temper.


I am amazed by how many other Scorpios I have in my life. My closest friend. Other dear friends. A clutch of linguist friends (in grad school we used to hold the annual Scorpio Linguist Birthday Bash). A bunch (a murder?) of mystery-writer friends. Several relatives. A couple of influential (former) lovers. My first best friend from childhood. I guess we find connection, although it can involve fireworks, too.

One of the online writer groups I follow was started a year ago by
Diane Vallere. She wanted to start a conversation and resource for fellow mystery writers who were seeking publication with a small press. It's been a great group. While I personally haven't yet succeeded in placing Speaking of Murder with a publisher, I get a lot of support and a lot of information from this group of Sisters (and Brothers) in Crime.

On this anniversary of the group, Diane suggested we all list our writing accomplishments for the year. Since for me this coincides with my birthday, I jumped right in. I was kind of surprised at the list, so I thought I'd share it here.
  • I finished finishing SPEAKING OF MURDER, and worked hard to find an agent or a small press. Still working on that.
  • My story "Reduction in Force" was published in THIN ICE by Level Best Books.
  • I attended the Crime Bake and Malice Domestic conferences, the latter for the first time.
  • My story "Stonecutter" was accepted for the FISH NETS anthology.
  • I wrote 45,000 words on BLUFFING IS MURDER.
  • I blogged weekly here. Posts possibly disappeared unread into the ether, but still it was good practice.
  • I did some tweeting as @edithmaxwell.
  • I participated in an in-person writers' group on Monday nights, meeting every other week or so, with excellent critique partners.
  • Last month I wrote a proposal for a new cozy series involving a farm and locavores. Excited about that.
I guess that's not a bad year, considering that I have a nearly full-time job with a long commute, and am also on the board of SINC-New England, my local Democratic Town Committee, and my Friends Meeting. And I try to exercise daily, cook fresh foods, socialize, garden in season, and read. Okay, this is all making me tired!

Still, I look forward to another full year. Writing makes me happy, and that's always good. Thanks to all of you who have stopped by here and commented. Bloggers crave feedback, it turns out!

7 comments:

  1. Looks like it was a very good year. May this birthday be the start of an even better one. Happy birthday.

    ReplyDelete
  2. No one better to write a good murder mystery than a Scorpio.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a great list of writing accomplishments! I'm going to have to get cracking to keep up ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Happy Birthday and congrats on all your accomplishments, Edith. They're not small ones. I usually list mine at the conventional time, New Year's, but birthdays are a good time, too. And good for Diane for suggesting that on the anniversary of the small press group. I'll be there soon. Just have to finish my project!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Happy Birthday, "Mystery" Maxwriter!
    Growing up with a Scorpion sister, I feel like home posting my comments.
    Your listed achievements are overwhelming! Although, my writing genre is different, I appreciate a good mystery novel. Worship Agatha Christie!
    May all your wishes come true with the last candle blow off you cake!
    Tatiana

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for stopping by, Gigi, Kaye,and Tatiana!

    ReplyDelete