Friday, April 27, 2012

Burning Bridges Anthology


My story, "The Importance of Blood," appears in the new Burning Bridges anthology, edited and compiled by Heath Lowrance.You can buy it on Amazon for 99 cents at http://amzn.to/JulkGb, with all proceeds going to Literacy for Incarcerated Teens. It's also available for free in all eformats from Smashwords: https://www.smashwords.com/books/view/155449.



Some of my regular readers here might remember that it appeared I had a publisher for Speaking of Murder at the end of 2011. It became clear to me that the publisher was not being honest with me on several accounts and I cancelled my contract (for example, two days before the reputed publication date I still had not seen edits of any kind, which had been promised for weeks). It soon turned out that he had not been honest with most of his authors and the majority quickly also withdrew from the press. 


In the "every cloud has a silver lining" department, many of the authors drew together to share information. We then agreed to publish a short story collection as a symbol of our having moved on. Burning Bridges is that collection.


I really like Heath's introduction to the collection and quote part of it here: 


"All the contributors DO have something in common, however—they’ve all been burned by a publishing experience that was unfortunate, but could have happened to anyone. Instead of compromising their integrity, though, each one of them lit a match, threw it over the shoulder, and shot away as the flames caught on the bridge behind them.


I had the honor of putting this thing together, more as a compiler than an editor, and I’m proud of the diversity and power of these stories. You’ll find that there’s no real theme to it; rather, it’s an object lesson about how writers who are truly committed to what they do can put the past behind them and  ontinue to put out solid, uncompromising work.


And not be afraid to burn bridges behind them."


My alter ego, Tace Baker, also has a story in the collection: "An Idea for Murder." 


So stop by Smashwords or Amazon and take a look. All the stories are a great read.

6 comments:

  1. Congratulations, Edith! Sounds like you and the other authors turned this into a great experience.

    Thanks for the inspiring post.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congratulations, Edith! What a great way to make the best of a bad situation.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Glad to be in the collection with you. You should consider adding share buttons to your posts to make it easier to forward blog posts to G+, Facebook and Twitter.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks, PJ, Nancy, and Ang. It's been wonderful connecting with the other authors and seeing how we each have moved on.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Kate, I would add those if I knew how! I thought I had a Facebook button. Will look into it.

    ReplyDelete