Monday, December 31, 2012

Happy New Year!

Happy New Year, dear readers. It's been an amazing year for me as a writer.

My first mystery novel, Speaking of Murder, was published by Barking Rain Press in September. I did as much promotion as I could--dozens of guest blogs and a half-dozen speaking events--but haven't seen any earthshaking sales or important reviews. 

I signed a deal with an agent, John Talbot, and then a three-book contract with Kensington Publishing. I wrote the first Local Foods mystery and sent it in, and have 30k written on the second one (a few thousand words more by tonight, I hope!). 

I had a short story, "Stonecutter," accepted for publication in an anthology, and two other stories were published in the Burning Bridges anthology where all proceeds went to charity.


I decided to self e-publish two previously published short stories whose rights have reverted to me, because they are actually the backstory to two important characters in Speaking of Murder, and I have formatted them for Smashwords and gotten covers done (by StanzAloneDesign - aren't they cool?). They'll be available for all ereaders sometime in the next month.

I attended a dynamite Donald Maass writing workshop, the Writers' Police Academy, and New England Crime Bake and learned so much from each event. I even plunged into the world of smart phones and Kindles.

All this went on while I was working full time writing software manuals, exercising most days, selling and buying a house and moving, and sitting with my mother while she died in April. Whew!

I'd like to thank all of you who stopped by to see what was up all year long and especially to those who commented and who read my writing. It means so much to me.

May you have a happy, healthy, harmonious new year filled with lots and lots of reading!

3 comments:

  1. Hi Edith. I'm just back from a two month blogcation and making the rounds to say hi. You had quite a year. (Very sorry about your mom, if I haven't already told you.) Here's wishing you an even better 2013.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, LD. My mom had a long and full life and it was her time to go, but I sure miss her. I am blessed to have been at her side in her last days and at the moment of her death. Not sure if you saw this piece I wrote about her while she was still alive:
      http://www.edithmaxwell.com/2011/09/my-mothers-birthday.html

      Delete
    2. I did see the birthday post. I had done one for my mom on the 22nd that same month (her birthday was the 23rd), just a little "in memory" post. I'd like to say you'll miss her less as time goes by but I don't think that's true. The missing just gets a little easier as you get used to it.

      Delete